U.S. Department of Justice, Office Of Justice Programs, Innovation - Partnerships - Safer Neighborhoods
Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, Working for Youth Justice and Safety
OJJDP Statistical Briefing Book logo jump over products navigation bar
OJJDP Statistical Briefing Book logoAbout SSBFrequently Asked QuestionsPublicationsData Analysis ToolsNational Data SetsOther ResourcesAsk a Question

Juvenile Population Characteristics
Juveniles as Victims
Juveniles as Offenders
Juvenile Justice System Structure & Process
Law Enforcement & Juvenile Crime
Juveniles in Court
Juveniles on Probation
Juveniles in Corrections
Overview
Related FAQs
Related Publications
Related Links
Data Analysis Tools
Juvenile Reentry & Aftercare
Statistical Briefing Book Home

OJJDP logo

Printer-priendlyPrinter-friendly
Juveniles in Corrections
Custody Data (1995 & before)
Q: Compared with private facilities, were more juveniles in public facilities held for law violations in 1995?
A: Most juveniles in public custody are held for law violations as part of a court-ordered disposition while 4 in 10 juveniles in private facilities are not offenders.

Resident population held in public vs. private juvenile facilities, 1995

  Public Private
Total 69,075 39,671
 
100%
100%
 
Law violation
99%
59%
  Delinquency
96
45
  Status
3
14
Nonoffenders
1
41

[ Excel file ]

  • The private facility population included a significant number of youth referred for abuse, neglect, emotional disturbance, or mental retardation as well as youth who were voluntarily admitted (referred by parents or school officials or as part of a diversion program). These nonoffenders were 41% of the private facility custody population.
  • The majority of offenders in public custody were committed to the facility as part of a court-ordered disposition (65%). The remaining 35% were being detained prior to adjudication or after adjudication while awaiting disposition or placement.
  • The vast majority of offenders in private custody were committed to the facility as part of a court-ordered disposition (91%). Juveniles who were detained prior to adjudication or after adjudication while awaiting disposition or placement made up the remaining 9% of offenders in private custody.

Internet citation: OJJDP Statistical Briefing Book. Online. Available: http://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/corrections/qa08102.asp?qaDate=19990930. Released on September 30, 1999.

Adapted from Sickmund, M., Snyder, H., and Poe-Yamagata, E. Juvenile Offenders and Victims: 1997 Update on Violence. [HTML File] or [Adobe Acrobat File].

Data Source: Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Children in Custody Census of Public and Private Juvenile Detention, Correctional, and Shelter Facilities 1994/95 [machine-readable data files]. Washington, D.C.: Bureau of the Census, 1996.

 

USA.gov | Privacy | Policies & Disclaimers | FOIA | Site Map | Ask a Question | OJJDP Home
A component of the Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice